To cruise or not to cruise is a question you might have been asking yourself already.
There are quite a few misunderstandings about cruising so I can imagine why you would say ‘no’.
I used to think of large cruise ships with 1000’s of passengers who can spend only very limited time ashore as the ship on itself is the place to be. That speaks to a lot of people but I’m not one of them.
My view on cruises changed completely when I learned about the small luxury ships of Seabourn Cruise Line (see ‘about’ for the full story) I was also very impressed by Europa 2 (Hapag Lloyd Cruises) while cruising from Hurghada to Athens.
If you like sufficient time to explore destinations, personal service, fine dining, talking with like-minded travellers, spacious suites and – very important – peace of mind, you should really consider to book a luxury cruise on a small ship.
A luxury cruise isn’t cheap but you should know that nearly everything is included! (unlike on the larger ships)
I think cruising is a fantastic way to discover several countries in a short amount of time, without all the hassle with flights, transfers, hotels and luggage.
I would suggest to start with a cruise of 7 or 10 days in the Mediterranean or the Caribbean.
To make the most of your cruise holiday, try to plan and book as much as possible in advance:
- Book at least 1 hotel night before your cruise, including transfers to/from the cruise ship
- I would recommend to book a Veranda Suite (or higher) so you can enjoy some fresh air
- I like a mix of full day/half day excursions and time to explore the destination on my own
- On a day at sea or early departure from the port, take advantage of a spa treatment
- Special celebration? Order a premium bottle of champagne, chocolates, … before your cruise
- Book you table in the specialty restaurant(s) if required
- Advise the cruise line about special dietary requirements, allergies, medical needs, preferences
From the moment you arrive at the ship, you will experience the best of the best in luxury cruising:
- the staff/crew will welcome you with a smile and will assist with any queries you may have
- unpack your suitcases – there is ample storage in your luxury suite
- sip from your glass of champagne during Sail Away
- enjoy from (al-fresco) dining with spectacular views on the shimmering sea
- in the evening you can choose from a variety of entertainment
- you will sleep well on the wonderful beds with fine cotton linens
- the Captain and his Officers will bring you to the next port overnight
- in the morning, enjoy breakfast in luxe buffet-style or à la carte in the restaurants
At the end of your cruise you will wonder why you waited so long to start cruising and… you will most likely start planning your next cruise already.
Leave a Comment